Wednesday, February 9, 2011

King Arthur's Crumb Coffeecake



It's another ice day in Dallas! 

After our terrifying trek out to eat last Friday night, when two crazy drivers almost hit us even though by then they had to go out of their way to slip in the slush, we are staying right here. 

Everything is closed and we're wondering when this city will just invest in a couple dozen sand trucks.  One sand truck?  Really, Dallas, this is getting ridiculous.

But we'll take another lazy day.


And today I really mean lazy.  I did do my Insanity workout, but just barely.  And I did do four huge loads of laundry.  But now they're all staring me in the face waiting to be folded...and I just don't know if I can do it.

Here they are:


Under this pile there is, or at least there used to be, an big brown overstuffed chair.  I'm not sure when we'll see it again.

I'm feeling so lazy today that I don't even feel like baking anything.  It's that bad. 

So here is a recipe I made for Saturday morning brunch two weeks ago when Josh's parents were here.  It was the first time I tried this recipe, it's from my King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion Cookbook, and it was GOOD.

Five star, keep-this-recipe-forever kind of good. 

Without further ado:






King Arthur's Crumb Coffeecake

Crumb Topping:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. almond extract

Cake:
8 Tbl. butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
Confectioner's Sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350.  Greased 13x9 pan.

To make the crumb topping:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Pour butter and extracts into flour mixture and mix until butter is absorbed and you have a uniformly moistened crumb mixture.  Set aside.

To make cake:
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time and beat in-between additions.  Beat in vanilla and sour cream.  In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together flour, soda, salt and powder.  Add to sour cream mixture, mixing until combined.  Pour into greased pan.  Crumble the crumb mixture over top.  

Bake 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool on a rack; dust with confectioner's sugar.
 

And after looking at all these photos I think I just found the energy to bake something today after all.  :)

2 comments:

  1. this looks. WOW. a definite make this weekend! love you <3
    p.s. thanks for the B quote. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can testify that this recipe is terrific. Unbelievably good.

    ReplyDelete