Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl...Salad?



I know.  Those two words should never really be paired together.

If the Bears had won two weeks ago we would be having the Superbowl feast (and party) of a lifetime.

But they didn't.

And so my husband is getting salad for dinner on Superbowl Sunday. But before you feel too sorry for him (as you lick your hot-wing sauce drenched fingers) it is his favorite salad.  And mine.

This salad is a winner, people, I promise.  Just like the Bears always will be, to me. :)

I got the recipe from my Gourmet cookbook, which I love.



I've changed the actual salad a little bit, because I'm not a big fan of bacon and I have no idea what Roquefort is.  But what makes this salad so special is the dressing.  It's easy to whisk together but has a rich and citrus-y flavor that you just have to try yourself!






Cobb Salad

For Dressing
3 Tbl. red wine vinegar
1 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. Dijon or honey mustard
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Whisk together all ingredients except oil in a bowl.  Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until well blended.  Set aside.

For Salad
Mixed greens or 1 head romaine lettuce
Shredded or chopped chicken, lightly salted
1/2 cup Roquefort (or cheddar if, like me, you had to look that up on Google)
6 bacon slices, and crumbled (I always leave this out...not a big bacon fan)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Fresh corn sliced from the cob (or, if it's not in season, HOMINY)
2 avocados, sliced

Top with crushed tortilla chips, especially if it's Superbowl Sunday!






May the best team win!  And, since we don't really care who wins, may the commercials be truly amazing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment