Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake


This is one of those posts I almost don't want to write because any description or photo of this coffee cake can't do it justice.  This is my mom's recipe and it is the best. coffee cake. EVER.

I LOVE rhubarb.

Usually I want it straight up.  I would choose straight rhubarb pie over strawberry rhubarb pie any day.  

But this is one instance when the strawberries should not be left out.  And the result is pure heaven.

This is a breakfast we beg my mom to make every time we go home.  She even made this for Josh at Christmas time this past year, on special request, even though it was obviously the wrong season for it.

When we went to Vermont this time we were very sad to hear that rhubarb season was already over.   

But mom was ready for us...she had frozen some. :)

Look at those frozen beauties.

 
So we got to have another strawberry rhubarb coffee cake after all. 

My mom is usually the one who makes this for us but since a cute little blond haired boy woke me up very early one morning I decided to do the honors this time.


Still half asleep.

We haven't had much luck finding rhubarb in Texas, but after writing this post I think I'm going to go from store to store on a serious rhubarb hunt this weekend.  We need to have one more taste of this deliciousness before summer is over.
 










Hmm, I wonder what's in here!
 




Strawberry Rhubarb Coffeecake

FILLING*
2 1/4 cups rhubarb, sliced
12 oz. frozen strawberries with sugar, thawed (or 1 1/2 cups fresh plus extra sugar)
1 1/2 Tbl. lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

*We usually double this filling recipe and freeze half of it to make another coffeecake later!  

Cook berries and rhubarb, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes or until thick.

CAKE
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 375. 

Combine dry ingredients.  Cut in butter till crumbly.  Add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla and mix till combined.

Spread half the batter in a greased 13x9 inch pan.  Spread strawberry/rhubarb filling over top.

Spoon remaining cake batter in small rounds on top of filling and smooth slightly to partially/mostly cover the filling.

TOPPING
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter

Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter.  Sprinkle over top of coffee cake.

Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.



Eat it while it's still warm!

5 comments:

  1. I'll take a piece right now! Make that two pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i figured out how to say rhubarb in Polish (rabarbar)... then i went to the market and found it! ...gonna try your recipe tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I was in Poland tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never ever had rhubarb! I really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! AMAZING leah :) thanks so much for sharing your recipe. i may post on it later... made a few adjustments to adapt it to 'polish ingredients'... but one of the best cakes ever. Ben gave it a thumbs up too!

    ReplyDelete