Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fire & Flood

I love Isaiah 43.  It's usually the first passage I read when I'm feeling scared, discouraged, overwhelmed or insecure.  I've picked out my favorite verses and pasted them below.

It was written to encourage the Israelites when they were in captivity in Babylon.  They were slaves.  I'm sure they didn't feel like they were "God's chosen people."  They needed a reminder of who they really were in God's eyes.  

They also needed a reminder that He was still with them even in this dark place.  He promises that He will preserve and care for them as they walk through some of the toughest days of their lives.   

This pain won't last forever, God promises them, and us.  Wait for Me!  Watch what I'm about to do!

Whenever I read the first two verses, I substitute my own own name every time it says "Jacob" or "Israel."  Try it with your name:

But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob, 
And He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; 
I have called you by your name; You are Mine. 
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; 
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. 
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, 
Nor shall the flame scorch you. 
(Isaiah 43:1,2) 

 
God knows us better than anyone.  He made us!  He knows my name and He knows your name.  We can have a real, intimate relationship with Him.  

We are HIS!

God never promises that He'll always keep the fire and flood away from us.  The fire and the flood will come.  But He does promise that if we cling to Him those painful experiences will not get the best of us.  They can't destroy us!  He will never leave us to face anything by ourselves.

He is with us. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

These next verses remind the Israelites how God had saved them in the past.  He saved them before; He would do it again! We can use this reminder, too.  We can stop and think of all the ways God has helped us in the past; and most of all how God has saved us from the biggest fire of all: He gave Jesus for our ransom.  

He gave His Son in our place so that we could have eternal life.  This life and salvation is free to anyone who will accept it from Him!

For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, 
your Savior; 
I gave Egypt for your ransom, 
Ethiopia and Seba in your place.
Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, 
And I have loved you; 
Therefore I will give men for you, 
And people for your life.
(Isaiah 43:3,4)

Did you hear that?  The God of the universe is saying to you and to me, I have not forgotten you!  I have rescued you in the past and I will do it again.  You are precious to Me.  I love you!  I love you so much that I gave My Son to die in your place. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Fear not, for I am with you...
Everyone who is called by My name,  
Whom I have created for My glory; 
I have formed him, yes, I have made him.
Indeed before the day was, I am He; 
And there is no one who can deliver out of My hand; 
I work, and who will reverse it?  
(Isaiah 43:5a, 7)

We have no reason to fear.  God knows our name!  And then, when we become His children by trusting in Jesus, He gives us HIS name as well.  We are Christians.  We exist to bring Him glory.  

Have you ever wondered, "What is the meaning of life?  What is my purpose in this world?"  God tells us right here.  

He created us to bring Him glory; He chose us (!) to showcase His glory, or (as John Piper would say) His spectacularness.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Behold, I will do a new thing,  
Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? 
I will even make a road in the wilderness And rivers in the desert.
This people I have formed for Myself;  They shall declare My praise.
(Isaiah 43:13, 19, 21) 

When we find ourselves in the raging fire, or knocked over by stormy waves...we have hope!   It won't last forever.  God is "on the move."  

Watch for Him...and He will do something new.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Leah! Those scriptures brought tears to my eyes. I can see why they are your favorites! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this meditation on Isaiah 43. Good food for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, Leah. LOVE your devo posts!! LOVE you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you made this so personal.

    ReplyDelete