Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Own American Idol Debut

I'm actually starting to get into American Idol this season.

I watched it here and there last year but this year I'm hooked.  Like everyone else I saying, "Wow - so much talent this year!"  It makes it exciting to watch.  I haven't voted, though, because I honestly can't decide who I like best.

Last night as Josh and I were watching the performances we had a little flashback.  Some of you don't know this about us, but Josh and I, along with our 6 teammates in China, once had our own shimmering five minutes of fame under the brilliant lights on stage.

For your entertainment I am linking a video of a performance we did in front of 3,000 students while we were in China.  Let me tell you, you are in for a treat. 


This is, my friends, the most embarrassing moment of my life.

And the most surreal.  Did I really do this?!

It makes me laugh so hard that I cry.  And Josh breaks out in a cold sweat every time he sees it.  I hope my wonderful teammates won't kill me for posting this.

There are a couple of things you need to know before you watch this video.

1.) In China, "performances" are a very important part of the culture.  This was not a fun thing for me to find out when we moved there, since I hate being in the spotlight and can't sing or dance to save my life.  But our students always wanted us to perform for them.  It is just part of life there.  So we did.

2.) This particular performance was not optional.  We tried VERY hard to get out of it, but the school officials wouldn't back down.  The foreign teachers had to do a performance, and it needed to include a song and dance. We had some very talented singers and dancers on our team, but not all of us had that gift.  We couldn't figure out how to dance to Away in a Manger, so, as you can see, we performed that other very traditional Christmas dance that all Americans dance at Christmas every year. :)

I have to admit, terrifying and embarrassing as this moment was, it was also kind of fun.  I really did feel kind of like a star for those five minutes.  :)  There is definitely something heady about being in front of an audience that big, under those lights, with the BUBBLES!

Our gracious Chinese hosts were  kind enough to shower us with applause and afterward they gave us the largest bouquets of flowers I have ever seen in my life.  They were wonderful.  I love China!


It's a little bit long, almost 6 minutes, so watch it when you have time to sit back and relax and enjoy a good laugh show.

Click HERE for the video!



Randy:  "Dude, it wasn't the best performance I've seen you do.  It was a little pitchy here and there."

Jennifer:  "I love your outfits, you really have the whole image thing down.  But the vocals and the moves just didn't do it for me this time.  I'm sorry."

Steven:  "I agree with Randy and Jennifer.  I know you have it in you, but it didn't work out.  Better luck next time."

5 comments:

  1. you are hilarious, my friend! right now I've got one puking kid and one teething one, but when I get a sec I'm coming back to watch the video.....but I've gotta say that last pic is a lol in and of itself!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was fun!!! You all kept looking at each other...to see if you were out of step! You got out there and did it, though. I loved it. Save it for Knox!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I thought it was great. I expect to see a song and dance next time we come! :)

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness - this was the funniest thing ever!! from the intro graphics and music, to the guy's pronunciation of "christmas," to the bright lights and HUGE stage (!), to your very soft performance of away in a manger (sorry guys, your voices are NOT big enough to fill up that stage - haha), to the enthusiastic clapping throughout the performance....LOVE LOVE LOVE. this makes me want to move to china and be a "foreign teacher"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. leah, just watched your video on joshes facebook! H-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s! i know you say, "his is, my friends, the most embarrassing moment of my life." but you and josh just shot up the cool scale in my books!

    ReplyDelete