Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"No."

As a parent, there are a lot of times when you have to say no.

Especially, I'm learning, when you have an [almost!] one-year-old who is just beginning to discover and explore a great big world...crawling and walking and reaching and climbing and grabbing and eating. 

He doesn't know yet what belongs to him, what belongs to others, what will hurt him, or what will hurt others.

For a while we couldn't tell if Knox understood the word NO.

But we have passed that stage. 

He definitely knows now.

When we say no now he gets a very serious look on his face and even shakes his head no along with us.

No means no.

But saying no isn't fun.  I don't think any parent enjoys saying no.   

Every day I try to look for and make a big deal of the YES's, too, so that I'm not always just saying no.

But sometimes NO is very necessary.
1.) Like when something is harmful to my child (i.e. electrical outlets, drinking daddy's coffee...);

2.) when something is harmful to others (i.e. hitting other people, pulling on mommy's earrings...); and

3.) when it's not time yet (i.e. that pile of colorfully wrapped birthday presents in mommy and daddy's room that are being saved for the BIG DAY...).

Eventually Knox will understand a little better that certain things might hurt him, or might hurt others...he will eventually learn the meaning of "wait until tomorrow."  (Although, if he's anything like his dad, he'll be asking to open his presents early for the rest of his life.)  :)

But right now he doesn't understand any of that.  He just hears NO. 

This has been intriguing for me to consider, because although God says YES to me a lot, sometimes He says NO, too.

Sometimes I don't like his rules.  Sometimes I don't like His answer to my prayer.

And like a little child, I don't understand why.  I get angry, I protest, I reach for what I want anyway.

Why can't I play with the electrical outlet?  It is (obviously) the most exciting looking item in the whole house!

I can't see that He is saying no because it is going to hurt me.  

Why can't I pull on mommy's earrings?  They're so colorful and inviting!

I can't see that He is saying no because it's going to hurt someone I love.

Why can't I tear open that bright wrapping paper?  It's TANTALIZING and it's mine, isn't it?!

I can't see that He is saying no because He has set it aside to give it to me later, on a special day.

God loves me even more than I love Knox. 

That is a lot of love.

I hope that the next time God says no to me I will hear myself saying no to Knox...and see His kind heart and loving intentions for me even when I don't fully understand the whys.

Whenever God says NO, it is because He has a big YES to give us later.



My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline,
   and do not resent his rebuke,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
   as a father the son he delights in.
Proverbs 3:11-12

1 comment: