Friday, May 20, 2011

Mini Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Breakfast Frittatas


I have a tendency to create a lot of unnecessary stress for myself.  It's something I am seriously working on this year...relaxing and enjoying life rather than being uptight and stressed all the time about things that don't even really matter.

But I'm a work in progress.

Last week when I was getting ready for Girls Weekend I spent a long time searching out recipes and planning an elaborate menu for the weekend.  I love to cook, and I wanted to make a special menu for a special weekend.

But when Josh realized what I was doing he said, very gently, "You want to be a Mary, not a Martha this weekend, don't you?  The girls won't be here very long, I don't think you are going to want to spend all your time cooking..."  

And I looked up sheepishly and answered, "Um, yeaaaah...I guess you're right."

He was.  

Sometimes I need reminders like that.  

So I scratched that super time consuming menu and decided to serve simpler dishes that I could make ahead...like this green chile soup, this pizza dough, and these carmelitas.

And it was a good thing, because we had WAY too much talking and playing with babies to do to leave any time for extra food prep.  :)

The only thing I really left to whip up while they were here were these frittatas, which were quick to make and really delicious.  

I love that they are baked in individual servings, it makes them extra fun.  They were a huge hit with the girls and this is definitely a recipe I'll be making again!





Mini Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato 
Breakfast Frittatas
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 small shallot, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 4 egg whites
  • 8 sun-dried tomato halves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 425°F. Coat 4 small baking dishes with cooking spray. Set aside. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook shallot until soft but not brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. 

Lightly whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, spinach mixture, salt and pepper. Spoon into baking dishes; bake until firm in the center, 14 to 18 minutes.  



So there you have it...some beautiful frittatas that still allow you be a  Mary host. :)

1 comment:

  1. Leah, this looks like another winner. I've never had anything you made that I didn't like!

    ReplyDelete