Monday, May 2, 2011

The Two Story, Double Balcony Tree House

It's the end of an era.


On Saturday morning I called my family and my Dad said the words I have been dreading to hear for a long time.

"It's time for the tree house to come down."


When I was little...8 or 9ish years old...my Dad had my sister Courtney and I sit down and design the tree house of our dreams.

We grew up with acres and acres of woods as our playground.  So it was a no brainer.  What are all those trees for if not for a tree house?!

I remember the planning session.  My sister and I put our heads together and dreamed.  We dreamed big.  It was going to be the coolest  tree house known to mankind. 

We wanted it to be TWO stories high and to have stairs inside.  We wanted it to have an outdoor balcony off of each floor.  We wanted it to have real glass windows.  And - most importantly of all - it had to have a swinging ladder as the main means of entrance.

Only the best Dad in the world could make such a dream come true.

Luckily for us, we have that Dad. ♥

I remember him building it, and I remember helping.

(Does Mom know we helped nail shingles on the roof?)






I believe Courtney and I were going to paint the inside black and splatter paint it with hot pink, purple and turquoise.  That was the only part of the dream that didn't come true.  We never got around to it, thankfully. :)

These photos were all taken Saturday, just before the demolition began.  As you can tell, it really was time to bring it down.  The unfortunate thing about trees is that they grow.  And pull tree houses apart.

After 20-something years our beloved tree house was tearing apart and rotting inside.  The glass windows were partially broken.

It wasn't safe any more.

So Dad and Justin pulled it down.





Sadness.

Because this wasn't just a tree house...

It was a beautiful mansion.

A ship in the middle of the sea.

A castle.


That my Dad built for us.

I'm sad that Knox will never get to play in our tree house, but Papa has already promised that when Knox and Baby W. get a little bigger there will be yet another tree house planning session.

I can't wait. :)

5 comments:

  1. That is so sad! I kind of want to cry! What an amazing memory, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember playing in that awesome treehouse! Sad that it is gone, but it looks like it was time. I can't wait to see what Knox and Baby W. come up with for their tree house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness - that is the most amazing treehouse I have ever seen! your dad seems like a wonderful man - building a castle for his little princesses :) I'm so sorry it had to come down. but you DO have those memories! do you have pictures of you and your sister in it as kids? if so, you should scan them in and post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously. that tree house was amazing and it's so sweet that your dad built it for you. i always wanted a tree house! i'm with Marni- we need some childhood pics of you in the tree house!

    ReplyDelete