Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with a Salted Caramel Filling


Several months ago, when I realized I was going to be on cupcake duty for two very special baby showers this spring, I set out to find a very special cupcake recipe that would live up to these occasions.

It was harder than I thought.

Do you have any idea how difficult it can be to create a chocolate cupcake that stays moist?  I didn't!  If you only knew how many practice batches of cupcakes I have baked and eaten and given to neighbors and sent to work with Josh this spring...!

After multiple disappointments with chocolate cupcake recipes, several batches of scorched and runny caramel, and one instance of over-salting the caramel (leaving it nearly inedible for these dear friends), I finally ended up with a rich, delicious, and fool-proof recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with a Salted Caramel Filling.

Martha Stewart gave me the idea for these cupcakes, but I ended up using a different cupcake recipe and my own caramel filling.  I did stick with Martha's chocolate frosting, with only a couple of modifications.

All I can say, after making, filling, and frosting more of these cupcakes than I count, is that I really hope someone else has a baby SOON because I want to make MORE CUPCAKES!!!  :)

With the combination of sweet and salty they are a little addictive.

I am in love. :)






Chocolate Cupcakes with a 
Salted Caramel Filling
Makes 20 Delicious Cupcakes

STEP ONE:  Make the frosting.
FROSTING

• ½ cup plus 1 Tbl. cocoa powder
• ½ cup plus 1 Tbl. boiling water
• 4 ½ sticks (2 ¼ cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 1 bag Bittersweet Ghiradelli chocolate chips, melted then cooled 30 minutes

Combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until cocoa has dissolved.  Set aside. 

With an electric mixer on med-high, beat butter, confectioner’s sugar and salt till pale and fluffy.  Reduce speed to low.  Add melted and cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping sides of bowl as needed.  Beat in cocoa mixture.

If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 5 days, or frozen up to 1 month, in an airtight container.  Before using, bring to room temperature (takes about 6 hours to bring to room temperature) and beat until smooth again.
STEP TWO: Bake the cupcakes.
CUPCAKES

• 2 cups flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 3/4 cup water
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 4 ounces melted unsweetened baking chocolate

• 1 package instant chocolate pudding

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Combine all ingredients into large mixing bowl.  Mix at low speed for 30 seconds, and scrape bowl.  Mix at high speed for 3 minutes.

Fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter.  Bake 18-20 minutes.  It’s okay if they are slightly soft in the middle.

Cool 10 minutes in pans then remove from pan, and place on wire racks to cool completely and then wrap tightly to store overnight.
STEP THREE: Hollow out middles of cupcakes with knife in a cone shape.
STEP FOUR: Make salted caramel filling.
SALTED CARAMEL FILLING

• 4 egg yolks
• 1 cup brown sugar
• ½ cup water
• ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• Pinch of sea salt
• 1/2 to 1 1/2 more of sea salt
• Cornstarch
 

Whisk egg yolks in saucepan, adding remaining ingredients except 1 tsp sea salt and cornstarch.

Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until it becomes steamy and starts to thicken.   Add sea salt starting with 1/2 tsp, then adding more 1/4 tsp at a time and tasting after each addition.  You want to be able to taste the salt in the filling but you don't want it to be overpowering.  
Whisk in cornstarch (approx. 3 Tbl or enough to thicken) along with several drops of cold water to reduce lumps.

Immediately fill cupcakes.   
STEP FIVE: Frost the cupcakes!
Best enjoyed eaten on same day as filling and frosting.  





 


2 comments:

  1. I can attest that all your hard work paid off beautifully. They were the best cupcakes I've had in a VERY long time! :) Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cupcakes were amazing. I had two (or three) over the weekend, and they were incredible. I was thinking this morning that I wished I had another one for a snack.

    ReplyDelete