Monday, June 27, 2011

Chopped Salad with Chicken, Couscous, and Vegetables



I think this Texas heat has me beat.  

The last few days I've just been lazy, lazy, lazy.  I don't feel like cooking, I don't feel like cleaning, and I definitely don't feel like doing anything that involves leaving the air-conditioning.

I did that, twice this week...I went out for a run.  

I twisted my right ankle the first day, decided it wasn't bad enough to keep me down, so went back out (a little gingerly) the next day for another run and promptly twisted my left ankle as well.  

Yes, not my luckiest of weeks.  I blame this misfortune 100% on this oppressive heat...I think it made me run slow and drag my feet behind me.  

So the twisted ankles didn't help my summer slump either.

But lucky for me, Josh kindly agreed to brave a 105 degree afternoon and stand next to an even hotter grill long enough to cook the chicken for us to enjoy in this salad.  

This salad got me excited and lifted me out of my summer slump, for a few hours at least.  I think it was just the vibrant colors, and the textures, and the surprising flavors, and this magnificent dressing:



  
It's a fresh, creamy, bold basil dressing that is just what the doctor ordered for a hot summer day.


I first made this salad a couple years ago when my mom came to visit.  It caught my eye because it has currants in it, and my mom loves currants.  

Now I am not a fan of currants, and Josh was scared to death of them at the time, so it was with some reluctance and a lot of love for mom that I tried the recipe.  But I am so glad I did!

The currants don't bring a strong flavor to the salad at all, just the tiniest hint of sweetness that is perfect with the grated Parmesan and the basil dressing.  

My mom loved it, I loved it, and Josh loved it, too.

So if you too are looking for something bright and fresh and cool and exciting to get yourself moving on a hot summer day, this salad is for you. :)
 





Chopped Salad with Chicken, Couscous, and Vegetables
  •  1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 shallot, halved
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/3 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup dried currants
  • 1/3 cup shelled pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
  • 1 10-ounce package plain couscous, cooked according to package instructions
  • 3 cups coarsely chopped arugula
  • 1 pound plum tomatoes, seeded, diced (about 2 cups)
  • 2 grilled chicken breast halves, diced
  • 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
Blend basil leaves, mayonnaise, garlic and shallot in processor until smooth. Gradually blend in buttermilk and lemon juice. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) 

Mix Asiago or Parmesan cheese, currants, and seeds in medium bowl. 

Using 1/6 of couscous, 1/6 of arugula, 1/6 of tomatoes, 1/6 of chicken, 1/6 of corn, and 1/6 of Asiago cheese mixture, form rows on each of 6 plates. Serve, passing dressing separately.




1 comment:

  1. aha! Something easy and delicious! Just what I needed to add to my rotation...thanks, Leah, I'll definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete