Monday, June 13, 2011

Nancy's Homemade Hamburger Buns


Did anyone happen to notice how especially lovely the hamburger buns looked in yesterday's Hawaiian Hamburgers post? 

That is because my mom made them, from scratch.

Wow.

I was very excited when she said she was going to be making us homemade hamburger buns because ever since summer weather hit Dallas (you know, back in February) I've been dreaming of trying out some bun recipes myself.

Hamburgers are an I-want-to-make-something-really-quick-and-easy menu item for me.  Usually I grab the 89 cent store brand 8-pack of buns...which are serviceable, but tasteless. 

And dry. 

And, no matter how hard I try to keep them at the top of my grocery bag pile, inevitably half squished by the time I get them home.

I'm sure that sometimes for convenience sake I'll reach for the 89 cent buns again. 

But I think hamburgers have just been transformed from an I-want-to-make-something-really-quick-and-easy menu item into an I-want-to-make-something-really-special menu item for me.

Sometimes you just want to make a really special hamburger.  What could make a great burger more special than a homemade bun?!

Yum!

This recipe my mom got from her friend Nancy.  Nancy is a bread making master so we knew these were going to be good.  

They were amazing.

I don't have to try out any other bun recipes.

Thank you, Nancy...and thank you, Mom!!

I can't wait to make these myself.

My Mama





Nancy's Homemade Hamburger Buns

1 cup very warm water 
1/3 cup oil
2 Tbl. sugar
2 Tbl. yeast
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix first four ingredients and let rest 15 minutes in the KitchenAid bowl. Add egg, flour, and salt. Mix and knead 5 minutes. Roll 1/2-3/4 inch thick and cut out rolls with glass.*



Arrange on cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed or buttered. Let rise 30 minutes. Brush tops lightly with melted butter and bake at 425 for 8-9 minutes. 

*We also tried hand-forming a few rolls and actually liked the shape of the hand-rolled buns a little bit better than the glass-cut buns.  So next time I think I will skip the rolling out and cutting and just divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into rolls.



3 comments:

  1. I have been making your mother in laws hamburger buns since she lived in Cali, I might just give these a try. Just to see which one is best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh, i only just saw this post - would that be nancy as in my mom? those rolls sure do look familiar... (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, Nancy as in your mom!!! I love these rolls.

    ReplyDelete