Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cookie Decorating Attempt #1: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Yesterday afternoon I finally cleared some time to try out my new cookie decorating stuff.  It was so fun!

I loved it.  It's like my new therapy.  Cookie therapy, only not in the eating sense. :)

I have decorated cookies before, when I was little, but not really.  It was mostly like spread on as much frosting as possible and then add as many glittery sprinkles as possible.  

I still like glitter, but I'm trying to tone it down a little bit now that I'm 30.

My Aunt Mary is a pro at decorating anything...I wish she could have been here with me yesterday to give me some tips!  I could have used some. :)  Instead it was trial and a lot of error.

I took a lot of mental notes for next time and I have listed them below.

Lesson #1:  Bake the cookies the day before because if you don't you might lose cookie decorating steam before you even begin decorating. :)










Lesson #2:  Make sure icing is the correct consistency (mine was way too stiff all afternoon) BEFORE you put it into the bottles, because once it's in there it's in there.


Lesson #3:  15 minutes is not even close to long enough for your base coat to harden.  Oops.


Lesson #4:  Refer to Lesson #2..."flooding" and "marbling" might be a little easier if frosting is not so thick?



Lesson #5:  Watch some flower making tutorials on the internet before attempting to put a flower behind Henrietta's ear.

Henrietta the Modern Giraffe

Lesson #6:  Tea pot and tea cup themes seem to work best for me.

Blue Ribbon Cookies of the Day

Lesson #7:  Leave ample time for clean-up.


Lesson #8:  Cookie cutters make great toys!


Until next time...

1 comment: