Friday, April 1, 2011

Spanish White Beans with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach


This was a new recipe for me.  I found it on Epicurious.com.  It looked easy and healthy and made my mouth water when I ready the ingredients, so I decided to give it a try.  

I LOVE Epicurious, by the way.  Whenever I want to try something fun and new I know I can find it there!

I'm not really sure if this is supposed to be a side dish or main course.  I'm thinking probably side dish. It would make a beautiful side dish.  But this time we used it as a weeknight main course.  We ladled it into some huge soup bowls like you would chili, and then we scarfed it right down.  And licked our lips.  

Really, really good.

There is a lot of spinach in this recipe but it doesn't have a heavy spinach flavor.  Most of the jazz (there is a lot of jazz in this dish) comes from the sun-dried tomatoes.  I'm in love!







Spanish White Beans 
with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
  • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 2 (19-ounces cans) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 (10-ounces) bags spinach, tough stems removed

Cook onion and sun-dried tomatoes in 1/4 cup oil with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a 5- to 6-qt pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring, 1 minute. 


Stir in beans, water, spinach, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoon oil. 


1 comment:

  1. YUM!!! I was a little behind on the blog reading, but I am DEFINITELY trying this one!!

    ReplyDelete