Friday, April 15, 2011

Egg & Tomato: Chinese Comfort Food


 What's on your list of  "comfort foods?" 

Here's my top 4:  pizza, macaroni and cheese, waffles, and egg & tomato. 

Egg & Tomato.


This is a recipe I don't know if anyone will try, but I hope you will.  It's a dish we learned to LOVE while we were living in China. 

The first time I ate it I think I was just thankful I knew what it was. 

Eggs, tomato, and rice.



 
Straightforward and safe...I recognized every ingredient. 

It didn't involve goose heads, or floating turtles, or fish bones, or chicken feet, or slimy white tofu, or colorful jellied ???, or even any insects of any kind. 

It was just eggs, tomatoes, and rice.  Beautiful!  You can see how it became one of my first favorite dishes. :) Give me the "common food" of China any day!!

But it didn't take long before I wasn't just ordering it because it was safe...I was ordering it because it was delicious.  I craved egg and tomato.  And I still do.

There are many other favorite Chinese dishes I wish I could make here, but I've tried and they just don't come out the same.  

The art of Chinese egg and tomato, however, has been mastered by Josh and Leah.

We can make it and we can make it right.  And so we do.  At least every other week, sometimes more often.

It's delicious, it's quick, it's comforting, and it's even healthy!

It's authentic Chinese comfort food...for Americans.  Try it!



Egg & Tomato
Xi Hong Shi Chao Ji Dan

1 cup uncooked white rice (we prefer Jasmine)

1 Tbl. oil
3 ripe, juicy tomatoes
4 eggs, beaten
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1 tsp. sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
4 shakes dried ginger (or to taste)

Begin cooking rice with 1 1/2 cups water in rice cooker or on stove top according to directions.

Chop tomatoes and set aside.  Combine eggs and garlic in a bowl.  Heat oil in pan over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add eggs and cook, scraping pan as you go.  (Similar to making scrambled eggs.)

When eggs are almost cooked, add tomatoes, salt, sugar and ginger to taste.  Cook for 2-3 minutes, until tomatoes are heated through.

Serve egg and tomato over cooked rice.

Serves 2.



1 comment:

  1. Egg and tomato. My Dad would have loved that. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete