Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Cookies...it's the thought

 
I really thought my new flower cookie stencils were going to be the key to creating beautiful, easy Easter cookies this year.  

What could be simpler than using a stencil, right?  

WRONG!

It's way harder than I thought.

I even watched a tutorial online beforehand, I let my base coat dry overnight, and I tried about 7 different frosting consistencies for the stenciling...but still...


Not the cinch I thought it was going to be.  

It's hard to keep the stencil flat with only one hand, it's hard to keep it from slipping, it's hard to get the frosting the right consistency so that it doesn't run under the edges of the design (too thin) but also doesn't form peaks when you lift the stencil (too thick).

So I've turn my cookies into an inspirational message for you all.  You're welcome. :)

The road to perfect Easter cookies is marked with good intentions.


 Beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder.


It's the thought that counts.


If at first you don't succeed 
try, try again.

Blue Ribbon Cookie of the Day (last and most successful attempt)
You have to admit that, gloopy as they are up close, they do look pretty all together on the plate.


So maybe I'll give cookie stenciling one more try.  

If anyone has any advice PLEASE let me know.

Happy Saturday, Everyone!





3 comments:

  1. Hi Leah! I found your blog through my sister-in-law's blog (Laurie), and I love it! I've made your basic pizza dough 3 times, the crispy black bean tacos twice (yay for the confetti!), and Elva's scones 3 times, too. They were all wonderful! Anyway, around Valentine's day I started trying out royal icing. A couple of food blogs I look at have been very helpful. I used this one http://penniesonaplatter.com/2011/02/07/sugar-cookie-hearts/ for my first attempt. I liked it because you don't need a separate consistency of icing for lining and flooding; it's all the same, plus I didn't have to wait for anything to dry! The cookie recipe held its shape well and didn't get dry or hard. I also tried a more traditional royal icing using this tutorial http://annies-eats.net/2009/12/04/how-to-decorate-with-royal-icing/ I don't think I did it exactly right for a variety of reasons, but I'll try it again soon! I think your cookies look cute! You were brave to try the stencil :) I hope the links are helpful! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, thank you so much!!! You ROCK! :) And thanks for reading my blog! I'm so glad you got to try some of the recipes! Hope you're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete