Tuesday, January 18, 2011

11 Quick Lessons from Jonah 1-3


Last week I read Jonah.  I love that book!  But it had been a long time since I actually read it (unless you count looking at the pictures in Knox's picture Bible). :)

I was really challenged as I read through it this time, so I thought I'd share some of what I learned.

Today I'm sharing the notes I scribbled in my Bible margin from chapters 1-3.  There are millions of things we could get from these verses, but I'm focusing on what happens when we run from God's presence. 

In my next post I'll tell you about the huge question I encountered in Chapter 4 and the (shocking!) answer Josh helped me discover!


Jonah 1-3
Am I running from God's presence?

1.) Jonah was running not just from Nineveh, where God had asked him to go. He was fleeing from God's presence.  Sometimes the "best" of us turn our backs and run from God.   
Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry out against it; for their wickedness has come up before Me."  But Jonah arose to flee to Tarshish [which was in the opposite direction from Ninevah]  from the presence of the Lord. (1:1-3a)

2.) God notices and mourns when we turn away from His presence.  He will do whatever it takes to get our attention back. Sometimes He sends a big storm into our lives.
But the Lord sent out a great wind on the sea, and there was a mighty tempest on the sea, so that the ship was about to be broken up. (1:4)

3.) When we run from God, we become apathetic.  Tired.  We don't care any more.  We try to hide.
But Jonah had gone down into the lowest parts of the ship, had lain down, and was fast asleep. (1:5)

 4.) But we can't hide from God.  I can just imagine what was running through Jonah's mind as the sailors began to cast lots: "Surely they won't find out this is all because of me.  Surely this casting lots thing won't actually work." But God allowed it to.  And all fingers pointed to Jonah.
And they said to one another, "Come, let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this trouble has come upon us." So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah. (1:7)

5.) God can use our hugest failures to show others His strength and power. 
So they picked up Jonah and threw him into the sea, and the sea ceased its raging.  Then the men feared God exceedingly and offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows. (1:16)

6.) We never surprise God.  He is already ready and waiting - with grace! - for the worst we can throw at Him.  And His grace sometimes comes in...unlikely...forms.  Sometimes we don't recognize that the big fish that just ate us is a gift of grace and deliverance.
Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. (1:17)

7.)  Eventually, when God finally gets our attention again...we reach out to Him.  We respond once again with an expression of faith.  We turn back toward His presence.
Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish's belly...Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple. (2:1,4)

8.) God sees our change of heart.  He hears our prayer and He rescues us!
So the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (2:10)

9.) God gives us a second chance!!!
Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying, "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach to it the message that I tell you." (3:1)

10.) We end up exactly where God wants us to be.  Why do we sometimes choose to take the hard way?
So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh... (3:2)

11.) God wants to use us...imperfect, hard-headed us...in big ways, for His glory!
So the people of Nineveh believed God...! (3:5)


1 comment:

  1. Did you see the You Tube - Story of Jonah told by a little girl? It is awesome!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VrujheblY

    ReplyDelete