Monday, January 24, 2011

Mom's Crackling Cornbread

On Saturday I gave you our favorite chili recipe.  Here's the perfect pairing.  You can't have chili without cornbread!  This is my mom's recipe, I grew up on this stuff and it's good!  It's really quick, too...almost as quick as Jiffy, I swear!  I make it all the time. 

FYI, it's not Southern cornbread; it's sweet.  Up North we like our cornbread sweet, y'all.  Try it, you might like it! :)











 

 Mom's Crackling Cornbread

1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
6 Tbl. melted butter
1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease a 9-inch baking pan.  Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Stir in remaining ingredients until just moist.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until edges are slightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  




Since, as you all know, I've sworn off refined sugar for a while (although yesterday was a tough day, with the Bears loss and everything...I may have had two cookies in the 4th quarter even though I already had my sweet for the week...and after the game Josh may have put sugar in my decaf coffee to cheer me up), this particular batch went down the hall with half the pot of chili to our friends who just had a beautiful baby girl.  Congratulations, Danny and Mari!

1 comment:

  1. Personally I prefer sweet cornbread. Gotta get Marlene to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete