Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Healthy Muffins that are Really (no, really!) Good



Who says that just because you give up sugar for a while you have to give up baking? I made these muffins today for two reasons. #1, I thought Josh and I needed a fun afternoon snack; and #2, as Plan B for dinner tonight.

Plan A is "123Tiffin."

What is 123Tiffin, you ask?

I am not really sure. All I know is that last week one day I got a text message from Josh saying, "Do you want Indian Food tonight? It's a slick deal." And I texted back, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" because I love it when Josh finds fun slick deals, I love Indian food and I love it when I don't have to cook dinner. (A "slick deal" is any deal Josh finds on his favorite website, www.slickdeals.com, which I will doubtless blog more about in the future.)

So anyway we waited for two hours that night for 123Tiffin to deliver our $5 meal for two and it never showed up. We had to go to Jersey Mike's and get subs instead. Tonight 123Tiffin is supposed to redeem themselves and send us another meal. This time around I'm a little less excited and a lot more skeptical. So I'm prepared. If they don't show...or if the food looks too scary to try...we're having Progresso soup and these muffins for dinner, instead. :)

The muffins are really yummy. The recipe came from my mother-in-law, Marlene, and I think she got it from the Whole Foods website. She baked these for me when Knox was about two weeks old and they've become a family favorite.


They're
healthy, too! This isn't one of those tricks where someone tries to convince you that something healthy tastes good when it really doesn't. I wouldn't do that to you. On second thought, maybe I would. But you can trust Mom P!! She never makes anything that isn't 100% delicious. :)







Blueberry Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup firmly packed brown su
gar*
2 T. canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

3/4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)


Preheat oven to 375.


Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray (or line with muffin papers).
In a large bowl combine flour, oats, powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir just until moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake 16-18 minutes.


*Or, if you told the whole world yesterday that you're giving up refined sugar for 60 days, you can use 1/4 cup (or more) honey as I did today and it comes out almost as good. :)




Knox couldn't have a muffin but he did enjoy a little oatmeal & applesauce too:

5 comments:

  1. Leah's right, they are delicious. I've found you can substitute mashed banana for part or all of the applesauce.I discovered that the second time I made them at Leah's and we didn't have enough applesauce. Another time I had everything put together and realized I didn't have eggs.I put in a bit more banana and they turned out great. So...not only are they healthy and delicious, they're very adaptable too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! a must try :) any chance skim milk can be a sub for the buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would think skim milk would work fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can 'make' buttermilk by adding a little lemon juice (one tbs per cup) to any milk. I've never purchased buttermilk, just 'soured' whatever milk I have. Totally works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tried these today, and they are REALLY good! Thanks for sharing the recipe...:)

    ReplyDelete