Monday, January 31, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Surprise Cookies


It just wouldn't be fair to any of you kind people who actually read my blog if I withheld this recipe from you.  Hidden inside each of these chewy chocolate cookies is a soft, golden caramel center.  Life-changing, truly.

No one should have to go through life without trying these cookies.

The recipe originally came from my Aunt Monica, who is an amazing baker.  Now my family has adopted it and my mom, by popular request demand, is sweet enough to make them for us year after year at Christmas time.

I didn't get enough of them this past Christmas (because one can never get enough of these cookies) so I decided to make a batch to have around for Mom & Dad P's visit this weekend.  I love a lot of cookies but I have to say these are my favorite cookies of all.

The secret to the surprise caramel center is simply (but brilliantly)...

 
 Rolos.











  

Chocolate Caramel Surprise Cookies
(aka "Rolo Cookies")

1 cup butter
1 cup plus 2 Tbl. sugar, divided
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 (13-oz.) package Rolos
Chopped pecans, optional

In a mixing bowl cream butter, 1 cup sugar and brown sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Combine flour, cocoa & soda.  Add to creamed mixture and beat just until combined.  (You can add chopped pecans to the dough if desired.) Shape dough by tablespoons around each candy.  Place remaining sugar (and more chopped pecans, if desired) in a small bowl.  Dip each cookie halfway in sugar.  Place with sugar side up on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes or until tops are slightly cracked.  Cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I can personally testify that these are wonderful cookies. I had some this this weekend and they were terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! They look heavenly! Thanks for sharing - and for posting pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I will have to try these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may have to be the first thing I bake in March...thanks for this awesome recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. those do look awesome! I will need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made them today for my neighbor. They are super yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah, the cookies were amazing! I just baked some and I'm not sure if I can stop!! :) thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete